Turns out you can easily use a tv with a Chromecast as an extended Windows desktop. pretty cool hack.
First, With a Windows 8 PC:
- Right click on desktop
- Choose Screen Resolution
Or in Windows 10 :
- Type “Control Panel” into the Cortana search and open it
- Choose Display
- Choose Adjust resolution
Second, in either:
- Click Detect
- Click Another display not detected
- In Multiple displays, pick Try to connect anyway
- Click on (2) – In Multiple displays, pick Extend these displays
- Click OK
- In Chrome, click the Chromecast extension download menu
- Click the arrow in the top right corner
- Click cast this screen/window
- Chose your Chromecast
- Click Screen 2
- Click Share
You got it!
Definitely some serious lag but still cool to be able to do, since now you can leave your chromecast in that monitor and cast other things to it when you’re not using it.